Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kanye x Margiela


These images left me breathless so I had to share them with all of you. Kanye West is doing some surprise shows in Europe and his performance at Le Zénith, in Paris, was captured by the lens of the prestigious photographer Tommy Ton. More than a concert, Kanye did a fashion, artistic and musical installation. He was the center of the show and wore a straightjacket, a golden chain, a pair of Nike Air Force 1 high tops and a beautiful crystal Maison Martin Margiela mask. (It might be kinda difficult to sing with a mask covering all your face... just sayin'!)
Everything looked a little bit weird but conceptualized at the same time, Mr. West is taking his music to the next level, he's surely not the typical rapper, he's an artist and I guess he's stating that. Based on some reports, Kanye was talking 'crazy' and one of the things he said was: “I am Picasso. I am Michelangelo. I am Basquiat. I am Walt Disney. I am Steve Jobs.”. I have no clue of what he's trying to transmit but it's pretty funny, probably a way of artistic purification, of freedom, a catharsis, a death-liberation thesis maybe(?!). Oh well... I'm done guessing... let's just appreciate these pictures and wait for Kanye's next album, which he is already recording.


2 comments:

Sara said...

Adoreei.. ele sempre teves as suas coisas estranhas.. e esta foi bem escolhida

Liliana Ferreira said...

Certamente que quis transmitir que a arte pode vir das mais diversas fontes. Estranho mas no mínimo original (e depois aquela máscara grita MMM, pois algo nela me relembra as máscaras usadas na esgrima... mas just sayin')